Switzerland’s electricity supply is dominated by hydropower (ca. 60% of yearly generation). The role of hydropower within the ongoing energy transition, its long term future, and the importance of hydro related aspects on the local level are important elements of the political debates.
Within this topic cluster, the FoNEW team is mostly active along two research streams:
- Economic assessment of hydropower: Based on detailed plant specific model assessments as well as our Swiss electricity market model (Swissmod) we evaluate the chances and threats hydro plants face in a changing electricity market environment.
- Interplay of hydropower economics and the environment: Changed market conditions will lead to changes in the operation of hydropower plants. This in turn will have impacts on the hydrology and subsequent on the biotopes along Swiss river and lake systems. Similar, environmental changes (especially climate change) will have an impact on the hydrological conditions for Swiss hydro. The FoNEW team aims to breach the gap between those market and environmental aspects of hydropower.
- Betz R., Geissmann T., Kosch M., Schillinger M., & Weigt H. (2019)
The Design of Variable Water Fees and its Impact on Swiss Hydropower Companies and Resource Owners
SCCER CREST Working Paper WP3 - 2019/06
- Schillinger, M. (2019)
Balancing Market Design and Opportunity Cost – The Swiss Case
SCCER CREST Working Paper WP3 - 2019/08
- Schillinger, M., Weigt, H. (2019)
Bidding into balancing markets in a hydrodominated electricity system
SCCER CREST Working Paper WP3 - 2019/07
- Schillinger, M., Weigt, H., Barry, M., & Schumann, R. (2017)
Hydropower Operation in a Changing Market Environment - A Swiss Case Study
SCCER CREST Working Paper WP3 - 2017/07
- Schlecht, I., Weigt, H. (2016)
Long Drought Ahead? The Future Revenue Prospects of Swiss Hydropower
SCCER CREST Working Paper WP3 - 2016/03
- Barry, M., Baur, P., Gaudard, L., et al. (2015)
The Future of Swiss Hydropower - A Review on Drivers and Uncertainties.
SCCER CREST Working Paper WP3 - 2015/10
- Anghileri D., Botter M., Castelletti A., Weigt H., & Burlando P. (2018)
A Comparative Assessment of the Impact of Climate Change and Energy Policies on Alpine Hydropower
Water Resources Research, 54(11)
- Savelsberg, J., Schillinger, M., Schlecht, I., & Weigt, H. (2018)
The Impact of Climate Change on Swiss Hydropower.
- Hirsch, P. E., Schillinger, M., Appoloni, K., Burkhardt-Holm, P., & Weigt, H. (2016)
Integrating economic and ecological benchmarking for a sustainable development of hydropower
- Hirsch, P. E., Schillinger, S., Weigt, H., & Burkhardt-Holm, P. (2014)
A hydro-economic model for water level fluctuations: Combining limnology with economics for sustainable development of hydropower
PloS one, 9(12)
Datasets and Models
Projects and Reports
The FoNEW team is involved in the NRP70 project "The Future of Swiss Hydropower: An Integrated Economic Assessment of Chances, Threats and Solutions (HP Future)"
Information, reports, and papers are provided on the project webpage (Link)